Tuesday 2 March 2010

Eating Pork to Build Muscle

Many people tend to shy away from pork and concentrate on eating Chicken when it comes to building muscle and staying lean but I feel that pork gets a bad rep when it is really a great meat to eat when wanting to bulk up and lose fat.

Firstly did you know that Pork actually carries fewer calories per 100 grams than chicken? Shocking isn’t it, but it is true. For 100 grams of pork you will get 103 calories where 100 grams of chicken carries 150 calories.

Pork not only has less calories than chicken per hundred grams it also has more protein! Chicken carries eighteen grams of protein per hundred grams while pork actually has twenty grams of protein for one hundred grams.

Pork is also a great provider of B3, B6 and B12 vitamins which are vitamins that support the break down of carbohydrates and fats in the body. Pork is also high in Zinc which supports the production of testosterone in the body.

I tend to have pork once or twice a week to keep variation in my diet and to offer a great alternative to chicken as eating the same meat all the time can become mundane. When choosing my pork I always go for fresh steaks that are lean and don’t carry much fat.

Now you have found out that pork carries less calories and more protein than chicken what are you waiting for? Why not buy a fresh pork steak today and enjoy being a pig!

1 comments:

Adam said...

Yay! I love pork, so this is a great post for me. Here's a recipe for Pork Chop Skillets, if you're interested. http://www.reallifehealth.com/App/RecipePopup.aspx?RecipeID=17386
If you like this recipe, I suggest checking out http://www.reallifeforhealth.com. They have 1000's of different recipes to choose from and they help you build a fitness and nutrition plan that suits your goals. For the nutrition part they even send you printable daily meal plans and menus, as well as printable daily or weekly grocery lists, which are broken down by the area of the grocery store or supermarket. My wife likes that all the recipes contain 12 ingredients or less, so they are easy enough for even me to cook. I like that there's no fad diets, pills, or required supplements. And they tons of exercises that are all made by a certified personal trainer and come with printable workout cards and details of how the exercises are done. If I'm not stepping on any toes, I suggest you check them out. They offer a free trial anyway, so there's harm in trying.