Saturday 28 June 2008

The Power of Pyramid Training

Pyramid Training

Many people train in a specific way, by this I mean that they lift eight to ten reps or six to eight reps on every set. What many people do not realise is that as you gain knowledge on weight training you will find there are other training methods available.

I currently train using the pyramid training method, this utilises a mix in weight and reps to give the person using the pyramid training method the miximal possibilities in increasing strength. This mix in weight and reps may seem a little too involved and confusing for a training session but it is really very easy. Below is a chart showing how many reps you should carry out and at what weight when using the pyramid training method.


Using the pyramid method will certainly maximise muscle strength/growth and is used alot by powerlifters, but this method does not maximise muscle mass as higher repetitions are required for this.

If you are thinking of using this method I will let you in to one of my secrets to aide you. My secret is that every week you need to add a minimum 2.5kg (5.5lbs) to your 1 rep max to keep pushing your strength boundaries.

By following the pyramid training method I have gained a strength increase of 16kg (35lbs) on my dumbbell bench press in two months, this is partly due to the fact that I add 2kg per dumbbell every week using my (not so secret) secret.

0 comments: